<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, May 15, 2004

Return to Normality (?) 

This past week has been something of a marathon. Four classes whom I haven't seen for a week, a mountain of grading, an essay to finish, fatigue from the conference in Kalamazoo, and missing my wife, who flew off to Boston on a business trip just hours before I got back. Throw in a couple of needy cats, and, well, need I say more?

Anyway, Camille returns today (I'm off to pick her up in a couple of hours), and the mountain of grading has undergone some erosion. The essay is done (for the moment), and I even managed to read the proofs for another essay. Just one thing: I still have to find time to talk to my family. There has been some discussion on Critical Mass about the advisability of doing a PhD. Most people are concerned about whether there's any chance of a job at the end of it, but another thing to consider is whether the working conditions when you get a job are worth it. When you teach four courses and try to do research, there really is no time for family and friends.

Comments: Post a Comment
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?