<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Frið and Fredom 

Yesterday I heard on NPR Jeremy Rifkin talking about differing European and American notions of freedom, as discussed in his book The European Dream: How Europe's Vision of the Future Is Quietly Eclipsing the American Dream. Today, I read at excerpt from Cornel West's forthcoming book Democracy Matters, in which he writes:
How ironic that in America we’ve moved so quickly from Martin Luther King Jr.’s “Let Freedom Ring!” to “Bling! Bling!”—as if freedom were reducible to simply having material toys, as dictated by free-market fundamentalism.

Meanwhile, as I reach the conclusion of my work on "Frið and Fredom in La3amon's Brut," I find that notions of freedom are highly contested in the Middle Ages.

There is something going on here, a nice convergence between my research and a contemporary isssue. I'm going to pursue this more when I have time.

Comments:
A reader has informed me of difficulties posting comments to my web log, so I am going to try posting two comments, the first as myself and the second anonymously. This is just a test of the system.
 
Here's my anonymous comment. We'll see if this works.
 
Post a Comment
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?